A few years ago I hit the road for an entire month of tour and needed to pack a notebook to write down addresses and expenses. I wanted something cheap that could get ruined in a trunk or on a wet sidewalk without being a big deal, so I skipped the ornate, overpriced Barnes and Noble travel journals and went straight for a replaceable 88 ¢ composition notebook at Wal-Mart with the intent to make it my own. With a little internet research, construction paper, and glue, I had the perfect unique travel journal for under $5. It’s cheesy and lame and covered in handwritten quotes about travel and music that I absolutely love.
So if you love music and travel like I do, here are 13 quotes where someone else already nailed that perfect description:
- “Half the fun of travel is the aesthetic of lostness.”
- “I have found that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.”
- “Little by little, one travels far.”
- “Do you think I’ve gone ‘round the bend?”
“I’m afraid so. You’re mad, bonkers, completely off your head. But I’ll tell you a secret—all the best people are.”
–Lewis Carroll, from Alice in Wonderland
- “Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen.”
- From The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien:
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can.
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
- “I was born with music inside me. Music was one of my parts, like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver, my heart. Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene…a necessity for me—like food or water.”
- “It’s not down on any map; true places never are.”
- “Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here.”
- From “The Vagabond” by Robert Louis Stevenson:
Give to me the life I love,
Let the lave go by me,
Give the jolly heaven above
And the byway nigh me.
Bed in the bush with stars to see,
Bread I dip in the river—
There’s the life of a man like me,
There’s the life forever.
Let the blow fall soon or late,
Let what will be o’er me;
Give the face of earth around
And the road before me.
Wealth I seek not, hope nor love
Nor a friend to know me;
All I seek, the heaven above
And the road below me.
- From “The Road Not Taken” by Robert Frost:
I shall be telling this with a sigh,
Somewhere ages and ages hence
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
- “The first music you really fall in love with is more than just music. It’s something that clicks in you beyond the song; it’s a message or image that causes you to jump in and not let go.”
And lastly, the unsourced tweet. I have no idea where it originated, but I couldn't leave it behind:
- A fan isn’t someone who has been there since the beginning; it’s someone who will be there until the end. ❤